Basilica di San Nicola, Bari

A Romanesque basilica raised in Norman Puglia to hold relics taken from Myra in 1087, and still the shared pilgrimage of Catholic and Orthodox Christians.

ITALY · BARI 41.1291° N · 16.8703° E
Location
Bari, Italy 41.1291° N · 16.8703° E
Type
Pontifical basilica, served by the Dominicans since 1951
Dedication
Saint Nicholas of Myra, whose relics were brought here in 1087 and placed beneath the crypt altar in 1089.
Why Go

A church built around cargo

Bari did not inherit Saint Nicholas. It went and got him.

In the spring of 1087 a party of roughly sixty-two sailors and merchants from Bari sailed for Antioch with grain, and diverted to Myra on the coast of Lycia, in what is now Turkey. Nicholas had been bishop there in the fourth century and his tomb had drawn pilgrims for seven hundred years. The region was unstable, the Byzantine hold on it broken, and the shrine was watched by a handful of monks. The Bari party took the relics and sailed home. They reached the city on Sunday, May 9, 1087, and two months later the ground was cleared for a church to hold what they had brought.

Everything else here follows from that. The basilica is not a shrine that grew around a grave; it is a purpose-built reliquary the size of a cathedral, put up fast, in the fortified idiom of Norman Puglia, by a city that had just acquired the most valuable object in the western Mediterranean and intended to keep it.

And it worked. Nine hundred and forty years later the crypt is still the busiest room in Bari, and on any ordinary morning the people praying in it are Italian, Greek, Russian, Romanian, Serbian and Ukrainian. Nicholas is venerated across the whole Christian world, and Bari is where that fact becomes a place rather than an idea.

What happened at Myra in 1087, and what was left behind

The basilica publishes its own account of the translation, and it does not soften it. That is worth knowing before reading anyone else's version.

By the shrine's telling, three ships left Bari early in 1087 loaded with grain and bound for Antioch, whose fall to the Seljuks in 1085 had wrecked the city's main trade. They put in at Andriake, the port of Myra. Forty-seven of the men went inland to the church, where four custodians, three of them monks, were on duty. The Baresi asked to be shown where the manna was drawn from the tomb. When the monks would not say, the basilica's account states plainly that they were forced to speak with a sword at the throat. A young man named Matthew broke open the tomb with an iron bar and the relics were lifted out, the skull among them. The ships sailed. They reached Bari on Sunday, May 9, and the welcome turned into a fight over who would keep the relics, in which the archbishop, Ursone, tried to take them by force and men were killed before a settlement was reached. The relics went to the abbot Elias, who began building this church.

Eternal Roam states it this way. This was a relic translation carried out by force, in a period when such removals were common enough to have their own name in modern scholarship, and it is described as a theft by historians and as a translation by Bari. Both descriptions are answering different questions. The medieval sources, including the Bari accounts written within living memory, do not deny the coercion. What they claim is that the saint consented and that Myra could no longer protect him. A pilgrim does not have to settle that to pray here, but should not be told a gentler story than the shrine tells about itself.

Myra was not stripped bare. In 1099 Venetian ships on their way to the First Crusade stopped at the same church, found it largely abandoned, broke through the floor and took what remained, reaching Venice in 1101. For nine centuries the two cities disputed which held the real relics. The question was settled anatomically. Luigi Martino, professor of anatomy at the University of Bari, examined the Bari bones in 1953 and again in 1957, recording measurements, photographs and radiographs. In 1992 he was asked to examine the Venetian relics and found roughly five hundred small fragments that were complementary to the Bari skeleton: the same man, with Venice holding the pieces a hurried party in 1087 would have left in the bottom of a tomb. Bari has the body. Venice has what fell off it. Both are genuine, and the long argument is over.

As for Myra itself, the church of Saint Nicholas still stands at Demre and can be visited, with the empty sarcophagus in it. Eternal Roam does not route it, and the relics are not there.

The basilica is best read as a fortress with a liturgical program, because that is more or less what it is.

Abbot Elias began work on July 8, 1087, on the site of the Byzantine catepano's palace, the seat of the imperial governor Bari had recently stopped answering to. Material from that palace went into the new church, and the crypt columns are visibly reused Byzantine work: twenty-six of them, in Greek and Numidian marble, coral breccia and Carystian marble, no two capitals quite agreeing. Building on the governor's palace was not an accident of real estate. It was a statement about who now ran the city.

The west front is broad, pale and severe, with two flanking towers of unequal height and a plain gabled center. Very little of it is decorated, and what decoration there is has been concentrated where a visitor will walk: the central portal, and on the north flank the Portale dei Leoni with its carved riders. The overall effect is defensive, and that is period-correct for Puglia in the decades after the Norman conquest.

Inside, the nave is high, columned, and interrupted by three great transverse arches thrown across it in later centuries to hold the building together after earthquake damage. They are an obvious intrusion and they are the reason the church is still standing. Above them the ceiling is a gilded and painted baroque coffering of the seventeenth century, which sits over Romanesque stonework without pretending otherwise. Beyond the nave stand two objects worth crossing the church for: the ciborium over the high altar, attributed to Eustazio and dated around 1115, the oldest of its kind in Puglia; and the silver altar, worked between 1319 and 1684, in front of it.

The throne of Abbot Elias, in the presbytery, is the single finest carving in the building. It was made in 1098 for the Council of Bari, the assembly Pope Urban II convened in this city that October, at which Anselm of Canterbury argued the Latin case on the procession of the Holy Spirit. The throne rests on three straining figures, their faces carved in real pain, and it is one of the earliest pieces of European sculpture in which physical effort is rendered as feeling rather than as convention.

The crypt runs beneath the whole presbytery and transept, about thirty meters by fifteen, low and heavily vaulted on those reused columns. It is the oldest finished part of the church and the part that matters.

Read the Place

How to read the basilica.

Four things, and the order matters, because the crypt was finished first and everything above it was built to cover it.

The site

The church stands on the palace of the Byzantine catepano, the imperial governor. Abbot Elias cleared it in July 1087 and reused its stone and its columns. The building is a claim about who held Bari after the Normans took it.

The crypt

Ready by 1089, when Urban II placed the relics under its altar. Twenty-six mismatched columns of reused marble under low vaults. This is the oldest part and the reason for the rest.

The upper church

Romanesque, austere outside, with two unequal towers and almost no ornament except where you enter. The transverse arches across the nave and the gilded ceiling are later insertions, and both are honest about it.

The Orthodox chapel

Set up in one side of the crypt in 1966 so that the Divine Liturgy could be celebrated there regularly. It is a few meters from the Latin altar, under the same eleventh-century vaults, and it is in use.

The nave looking east. The three arches thrown across it are structural repairs made after earthquake damage, and the gilded coffered ceiling is seventeenth century. Both sit over eleventh-century stonework without disguising it.
Spiritual Significance

The crypt is a working church in two traditions at once, and the way that is arranged is the most instructive thing about Bari.

The tomb is beneath the central altar. Pope Urban II laid the relics there in 1089, and apart from a single interval they have not been moved since. That interval was 1953 to 1957, when structural work on the crypt required the bones to be lifted; a pontifical commission under Archbishop Enrico Nicodemo used the opportunity to have them examined, and they were exposed to public veneration until the evening of May 7, 1957, when they were replaced beneath the altar. They have been sealed there since. This matters for what a pilgrim should expect: the relics of Saint Nicholas are present, but they are not on view. What you approach is a stone tomb with an arched opening in its front, closed by a decorative grille, with oil lamps hanging in front of it. That is the whole of what is visible, and it is enough.

Orthodox Christians have prayed at this tomb for as long as it has been here, and in 1966 the arrangement was formalized: a chapel was set up at one side of the crypt where the Orthodox can celebrate the Divine Liturgy regularly. It has its own iconostasis, and it stands a few meters from the Latin altar, under the same vaults. Greek, Russian, Romanian, Serbian and Ukrainian pilgrims come in numbers that rose sharply after 1989, and the basilica asks visitors to keep silence in the crypt so that they can pray. Bari also has a Russian Orthodox church of its own, built before the First World War for Russian pilgrims and handed back to the Russian Church by the Italian state in 2009.

Eternal Roam states this carefully. Shared veneration is not shared communion. Catholics and Orthodox remain divided on questions this city itself once debated, in the Council of Bari of 1098. What Nicholas provides is not a solved problem but a common grave, and the practice built around it is real: in 1984 John Paul II and the Metropolitan of Myra together filled the lamp that burns beside the tomb, with oil brought from Myra and from Puglia. The gesture is a fair summary of the whole arrangement.

Royal doors, an icon of Christ to the right and the Mother of God to the left, and the whole screen fitted into a Romanesque arch that was cut two centuries before the schism it now stands across.
The crypt on an ordinary morning. The columns were taken from the Byzantine governor's palace that stood on this site, and the iron grille on the right encloses the chapel of the tomb.
Do Not Miss · 5 stops

Five things, from the crypt upward.

  1. The tomb beneath the crypt altar

    A stone tomb with an arched opening in its front, closed by a grille, with oil lamps in front of it. The relics are inside and are not exposed. This is the reason the basilica exists.

  2. The crypt columns

    Twenty-six of them, in four kinds of marble, taken from the Byzantine governor's palace that stood here first. No two capitals match. They are the clearest evidence of how the church was built and out of what.

  3. The Orthodox iconostasis

    The icon screen of the Orthodox chapel, established in one side of the crypt in 1966. Wooden, hung with icons, set into a Romanesque arch. Keep quiet near it; it is in use.

  4. The throne of Abbot Elias

    Carved in 1098 for the Council of Bari and held up by three straining figures whose faces show the strain. One of the earliest pieces of European sculpture to treat physical effort as an emotion.

  5. The ciborium and the silver altar

    The canopy over the high altar is attributed to Eustazio around 1115 and is the oldest in Puglia. The silver altar below it was worked between 1319 and 1684, so the two objects are five hundred years apart and stand together.

What to notice
  • The relics are present but not visible. Pilgrims sometimes expect an exposed reliquary and find a sealed tomb behind a grille; the basilica has kept it that way since 1957.
  • The crypt is a place of prayer for two traditions at once. The basilica asks for silence in it, and the reason is practical rather than decorative.
  • The transverse arches across the nave are structural repairs, not design. They were added after earthquake damage and they are why the building survived.
Visit Plans · 2 plans · add to a journey

How much time, and what to do with it.

  • Duration Forty-five minutes to an hour Best for A first visit, or an hour taken out of a Bari day

    The crypt, the tomb, and the church above

    5 ordered stops

    Go down before you go along. The crypt is the church; the nave is what was built over it.

    1. The crypt and its reused Byzantine columns
    2. The tomb beneath the central altar
    3. The Orthodox chapel and its iconostasis
    4. The throne of Abbot Elias
    5. The ciborium and the silver altar
  • Duration Half a day Best for Pilgrims who came for Nicholas rather than past him

    Mass at the tomb, then the treasury and the old city

    5 ordered stops

    The difference between visiting the tomb and making the pilgrimage is whether you receive the sacraments at it.

    1. Mass, in the crypt if it can be arranged
    2. Confession
    3. The Museo Nicolaiano and the treasury
    4. The Portale dei Leoni on the north flank
    5. Bari Vecchia, on foot, and the seafront wall

Come at opening. The doors open before the first Mass and the crypt is nearly empty for the first hour; by mid-morning it is full and stays that way until evening.

How to Visit

How to visit well.

Go down to the crypt first. Almost everyone does the upper church first because it is where the door leads, and almost everyone then finds the crypt crowded. Early morning is the exception, and it is the best hour here.

In the crypt, walk the columns before you approach the tomb. They are the reused Byzantine shafts from the governor's palace and they date the building better than any plaque. Then go to the altar. There is no queue system and no timed entry; people pray, others wait, and it moves.

Find the Orthodox chapel on one side of the crypt, with its icon screen. If a Liturgy is in progress, stand at the back or leave; it is a service, not a display.

Upstairs, give the throne of Abbot Elias five minutes. Then look for the join between the Romanesque nave and the transverse arches that were driven across it later, and up at the gilded ceiling above both.

Mass is celebrated several times daily and confession is heard in two long sittings, morning and late afternoon. The basilica is open from very early to late in the evening, which makes it one of the few major Italian churches you can pray in after dinner. The Museo Nicolaiano next door holds the treasury and the documents and is ticketed separately.

Current Practical Info · reviewed August 19, 2026

Free, open early to late, and busiest in the crypt from mid-morning onward.

Entry to the basilica and the crypt is free and needs no booking. The doors open before dawn and stay open into the evening, later on Sundays, which makes this an unusually easy great church to pray in outside tourist hours. Mass is celebrated several times a day and confession is heard in two long sittings. The Museo Nicolaiano is ticketed separately. Exact times move with the season and the calendar, so take them from the basilica rather than from here.

Address
Largo Abate Elia 13, 70122 Bari BA, Italy
Admission
Free to the basilica and the crypt. The Museo Nicolaiano is ticketed separately.
The relics
In the tomb beneath the crypt altar, sealed since 1957. Present, but not exposed to view.
Accessibility
The crypt is reached by stairs, with a lift for visitors who cannot manage them. Bari Vecchia around the basilica is paved in worn stone and uneven.
Getting there
About fifteen minutes on foot from Bari Centrale, through the modern grid and into the old city. The cruise terminal is a similar walk in the other direction.
Additional schedule notes

Basilica hours

  • Eternal Roam does not publish the timetable, because it moves with the season and again for the feasts.
  • The doors open well before the first Mass, which is the quietest hour in the crypt by a wide margin.
  • Sunday hours run considerably later into the evening than weekday hours.

Mass

  • Groups can request a Mass in the crypt or in the basilica through the online booking page.
  • One weekday Mass is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, with prayer for the unity of Christians.

Confession

  • The Dominicans hear confessions in several languages. Ask at the sacristy.
  • Sunday hours are much longer than weekday hours, in both the morning and the evening.

Orthodox worship

  • The basilica asks visitors to keep silence in the crypt so that Orthodox pilgrims can pray.
  • If a Liturgy is in progress, stand at the back or come back later. It is a service rather than a demonstration.
  • Orthodox groups arrange their own celebrations through the basilica.

What you will and will not see

  • The tomb has an arched opening in its front closed by a grille, with lamps hanging before it. That is what pilgrims approach.
  • The bones were publicly exposed only between 1953 and May 7, 1957, during structural work on the crypt.
  • Photographs of the bones circulate from that period and from the scientific examinations. They do not show what a visitor sees today.

The May feast

  • A historical procession recreating the arrival of the relics runs on May 7, the statue of Saint Nicholas is carried to the harbor and taken out to sea on May 8, and the Santa Manna is drawn on the evening of May 9.
  • The city is full, the basilica fuller, and accommodation is booked months ahead.
  • December 6, the feast of Saint Nicholas, is quieter and colder and a good time to come for the shrine itself.

The museum

  • Ticketed separately from the basilica and keeping its own, narrower hours.
  • Optional rather than essential. The crypt is the visit.

What to wear

  • Shoulders and knees covered, as at any Italian basilica.
  • The crypt is cooler than the street in summer, and the streets of Bari Vecchia are polished stone and slippery in rain.
Relics, Tombs, Sacred Objects

What is venerated here, and on what evidence.

The tomb beneath the crypt altar, with the grille that closes the opening in its front and the lamps that burn before it. The relics are behind that grille and are not exposed; this is what a pilgrim actually approaches.

The relics of Saint Nicholas

Bodily relics, in the tomb beneath the crypt altar

The devotional center of the basilica. Pope Urban II deposited the relics beneath the newly built crypt altar in 1089, and they have remained there since, apart from the years 1953 to 1957 when structural work required their removal. They are not ordinarily visible: what pilgrims approach is the tomb, closed by a grille, with lamps burning before it. Catholic Mass and Orthodox Divine Liturgy are both offered in this crypt.

Basilica Pontificia di San Nicola (basilicasannicola.it); the 1953 pontifical commission under Archbishop Enrico Nicodemo; Luigi Martino, University of Bari
Documented

Custody is documented continuously from 1089. The relics were examined in 1953 and 1957 by Luigi Martino, professor of anatomy at Bari, who found a fragile and much-broken skeleton of a man over seventy, of about 1.68 meters, with damage consistent with a hurried removal and a sea voyage. In 1992 Martino examined the relics held at the Lido in Venice, taken from the same tomb at Myra in 1099, and found them anatomically complementary: the same skeleton, divided between two cities. That Nicholas was bishop of Myra in the fourth century is early and well attested; the details of his life largely are not.

The Santa Manna

Clear liquid forming in the tomb, drawn annually

The basilica describes the manna as the water that forms in the saint's tomb. The stone base of the tomb slopes slightly toward the center so that it gathers, and it is drawn once a year, on the evening of May 9, by the rector of the basilica before a large crowd. The practice is older than Bari: the same liquid was collected at Myra, and the Bari party of 1087 asked the monks there where it was drawn from. Vials sold or given to pilgrims contain blessed water mixed with a small quantity of it, because only about half a liter is collected in a year.

Basilica Pontificia di San Nicola, La Manna di San Nicola; chemical analysis by the University of Bari, 1925
Documented

That liquid forms in the tomb and is drawn each May 9 is documented practice, and an analysis by the University of Bari's chemistry laboratory in 1925 found it to be water of particular purity. What the liquid is has never been settled, and the basilica does not settle it: its own account records both the belief that it issues from the saint's bones and the explanation that it is condensation in a damp stone chamber below sea level. Eternal Roam follows the basilica in holding both open, and does not describe the manna as miraculous.

The throne of Abbot Elias

Carved marble episcopal throne, 1098

Made for the Council of Bari, which Pope Urban II convened in the city in October 1098 and at which the procession of the Holy Spirit was argued between Latin and Greek positions. The throne stands in the presbytery on three carved figures straining under its weight.

Basilica Pontificia di San Nicola; conciliar records of the Council of Bari
Documented

The council is a documented event of October 1098, attended by Urban II with Anselm of Canterbury among the Latin party. The basilica dates the throne to it. One nuance is worth keeping: the Greek-speaking churchmen present appear to have been from southern Italy and Sicily rather than delegates from Constantinople, so this was a debate across the divide rather than a negotiation between the two churches.

Source note Traditional attributions are presented as tradition, with documentation named where it exists.

Connected Saints

The saint this basilica was built to hold.

Saint Nicholas of Myra Relics and tomb Bishop of Myra in Lycia in the fourth century, venerated across the Christian East and West long before his relics reached Italy. They were carried from Myra to Bari in 1087 and placed beneath this crypt altar in 1089, where they remain. Eternal Roam does not yet publish a full pilgrimage guide to Nicholas; this basilica is where his story is currently told.
Map · Bari, Italy

Plan your visit.

Editorial sources

Built from the basilica's own published account of the translation, the crypt and the manna, read directly, with the Archdiocese of Bari-Bitonto and the published record of the anatomical examinations. The 1087 removal is described as the basilica itself describes it, including its statement that the custodians at Myra were made to speak with a sword at the throat; the page names both the scholarly framing of the event as theft and Bari's own framing as translation rather than choosing between them. The Venetian relics are treated as complementary rather than rival, following Luigi Martino's 1992 examination. The manna is described in the sanctuary's own terms as the water that forms in the tomb, with the 1925 analysis reported and both the devotional and the physical explanations left open as the basilica leaves them; it is never called miraculous in Eternal Roam's voice. The distinction between relics being present and relics being visible is stated explicitly, because the tomb has been sealed since 1957 and pilgrims regularly arrive expecting otherwise. Hours, Mass times and feast programs are described as enduring patterns and linked to the basilica rather than transcribed.

Last reviewed

August 19, 2026

Photo credits
  1. Hero. Sailko / Wikimedia Commons. Source. CC BY-SA 4.0.
  2. Detail. Holger Uwe Schmitt / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 4.0). Source. CC BY-SA 4.0.
  3. Detail. Sailko / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 4.0). Source. CC BY-SA 4.0.
  4. Detail. Sailko / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY 3.0). Source. CC BY 3.0.
  5. Detail. Sailko / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 4.0). Source. CC BY-SA 4.0.